Thursday, December 17, 2009

On the 4th Day of Christmas...

My Universe gave to me...

AMBIEN!

Sleep has been and continues to be key in keeping me healthy and sane - ish.

You know how it feels when you haven't had a good night's sleep...or worse have suffered a string of sleepless nights. Lack of sleep even attacks the very young.

It's no secret that as we age, our sleep patterns change or are more easily disrupted. We wake up in the middle of the night more easily. Whether it's because of increased trips to the bathroom, an unruly animal (man or beast), temperature, etc - it's tough to find that nadir of the perfect sleep. The sleep of babies...Damn babies...it's wasted on babies!

I am thankfully one of those perfect candidates for Ambien. I haven't suffered any of the widely publicized side effects - with the exception of one very vivid Bugs Bunny hallucination at the very beginning of my usage. I've never eaten, driven...or had "crazy Ambien sex" while under the influence. Granted, I only take 1/2 pill every night. On weekends, I'll take a whole one or 1/2 and then another 1/2 when I wake up, so that I can sleep in.


I had a friend who was up to 6 - 10 per night and he did do some wacky Ambien driving. Crashed his car into the neighbors car and fled the scene...into his house, where the police found him..asleep. He once went to an NA meeting while "asleep" and knew nothing about it until he ran into one of the other attendees who commented on how much "sharing" he had done at the meeting.

But were it not for Ambien, I'd look and feel like Beowolf's mother...and I don't mean the Angelina version.



No comments: